Search This Blog

Saturday 15 March 2014

WOODPIGEONS IN MY GARDEN

A pair of Woodpigeons flew into my garden today and began taking peanuts and seeds from one of the trays on the complete bird feeding station.   I don't think I've ever seen one before, not that I am aware of.  Such beautiful and graceful creatures they are.  I didn't know what they were at first as they looked like doves or feral pigeons but these visitors have a distinctive white band around their necks and very sharp looking beaks which turn down at the end.  Apparently woodpigeons can suck up water and only a few other types of bird can do that. 








I apologise that the photograph is quite poor but I use a mobile phone camera and the zoom isn't great.  If I try to go outdoors to take the photo, the birds fly away.  I know, I keep saying I will buy a better camera but until I find what I want, I'll have to make do.  Soon though, soon. 



This is a very interesting article about woodpigeons, if you are interested:

 http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/thewoodpigeon.htm