Search This Blog

Saturday 15 March 2014

CHAFFINCH versus BULLFINCH

I understand that although chaffinches (Fringilla coelebs) and bullfinches (Pyrrhula pyrrhula) are similar in colour, the bullfinch is very striking and different somehow.  I checked the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds website and it shows the striking difference between a chaffinch and a bullfinch. 








(c) www.rspb.org.uk - Male bullfinch



Difference between Male and Female Bullfinch (RSPB external link)  Note that although the female is less colourful, she still has the same markings as the male, still has a black face.












(c) www.rspb.org.uk - Male chaffinch

Difference between Male and Female Chaffinch (RSPB external link).  Note that the female is much less colourful but has similar markings to the male - the grey head, the white detail on the wings. 





I've seen a little bird visit my garden lately which is quite red from its face to its chest and lower abdomen, and I'm pretty certain it's a chaffinch. 





It's a really windy day and different birds just keep blowing in from somewhere.  I love them.  If you like birds, I can strongly recommend a bird feeding station. .  I've had so many kinds of birds visit since I got it.  In winter I provide fat (commercial fat can have seeds or insects in them), but mostly I make my own homemade fat-balls for the birds.  In summer I provide seeds, mixed, but mostly sunflower seeds which seem to be preferred by my garden's avian visitors. 







Male Chaffinch in my garden 2014 (sorry about poor image)




Male Bullfinch in my garden June 2018