Search This Blog

Friday 2 August 2013

GARDEN HERBS FOR LEMON DRINK

Even though I am English, I have never liked the taste of ordinary tea (not black, not green, not red, not Earl Grey, nothing).  And I don't like herb tea that you buy dry in packets.  However, making a herb tea from fresh herbs grown in my garden is a different matter altogether.  They are milder on the throat, smooth, and altogether natural in taste.  You can drink a lemon verbena tea, or lemon balm tea, or apple mint tea, or get adventurous and put lemon verbena together with lemon balm and a an amount of applemint to make a lovely, refreshing, calorie-free, drink.  These herb drinks are equally as nice warm or icy cold.  Those three herbs grow so easily in my garden here on the Pennine Mountains although I do have to protect the lemon verbena over winter. 




Apple mint - a hairy herb




Lemon Balm




Lemon Verbena


 






Herb leaves stripped off stalks and steeped in

boiling water for several minutes




A refreshing cup of lemony herb tea






As well as the above herbs, I also grow chives and rosemary for use in the kitchen. 







Rosemary




Chives - (even the flowers are edible)