Search This Blog

Thursday 18 July 2013

SWEET CHERRIES FROM PRUNUS AVIUM STELLA GISELA 5

While I cannot brag that I am having masses of fruit from the dwarf cherry tree, Prunus Avium Stella, Gisela 5, which I bought earlier this year, I am still so very pleased that it is producing a few very healthy and delicious cherries.  I've had one or two and they are so sweet.  I've had to net them, of course; an opportunist bird managed to get the first one before I even realised one was ripening.  You know the saying, 'the early bird gets to the cherries first', or something like that.






Prunus Avium Stella - Gisela 5






Prunus Avium Stella - Gisela 5



I bought the Prunus Avium Stella tree mainly because I love trees, I mean 'really love trees', and I wanted a flowering tree, and fruit is a bonus.  Right now it's in a large terracotta pot but I may have to transplant it into the ground as the roots are already filling the container.  I don't think the pot is big enough no matter what the man at the Royal Horticultural Society garden centre says.   I had to have a terracotta pot, rather than plastic, for the weight, so the tree will not blow over in the wind.  But, I don't think I can cope with a bigger terracotta pot than I already have because I would never be able to move it if it were necessary for some reason. 



How to prune cherry trees