Search This Blog

Thursday 18 July 2013

TENTATION APPLE - DELBLUSH

I had a drive over to Marks and Spencer's (M&S) store today and bought some fruit and vegetables as usual.  I like their green-groceries, they last so much longer, remain so much fresher for about the same price, as the same produce bought at a local supermarket.  Having said that, I don't always see the things that M&S sell at my supermarket.  Today I spotted the Tentation apples.  I'm not an apple lover as such but if I spot something special, I will try it.  I mentioned a while ago a fabulous variety of apple that I bought, the Delbard Estivale, and I was actually looking for those when I was tempted by 'Tentation' which is also a Delbard apple.  Am I being unpatriotic, not buying English apples?   Like Adam, I am easily led astray.






'Tentation', (a.k.a. Delblush) by Georges Delbard, Delbard Nursery Group



The taste test of Delbard's 'Tentation' apples: sweet, crisp, crunchy with just a little sharpness to make your ears tweak.  Nice.  I think they are more like Golden Delicious than the Delbard Estivales which are a bit closer to Cox's Pippins. 



What else did I buy at M&S?   I have developed 'a thing' about tenderstem broccoli.  I have always wondered about people who throw away the stems of broccoli which has a far better taste than the 'flowers'.  I bought two packets.  I also bought dark, almost black, sweet cherries although I have a few, a very few, ripening cherries on my Prunus Avium Stella, Gisela 5.  I ate one yesterday and it was sweet and lovely.  I also bought some unusual looking (Forelle) pears which I will write about once I have tried one, and a punnet of Sonata strawberries - the ones I am growing are generally rubbish, but I didn't need to buy raspberries as my canes are providing me with a cupful of ripe Polka raspberries every day now.