Search This Blog

Monday 8 July 2013

GARDEN IN EARLY MORNING SUNSHINE

I love the way the garden looks in early morning sunshine, before the sunlight gets too strong and leaches the colours out of everything.  It's the same as when dusk approaches, when shadows create more definition and colours are brighter just before they start turning to grey as light fades; and then the white flowers come into play, standing out as they reflect the last of the light.  I took a couple of photographs this morning of my little garden and although I haven't captured all the rose bushes (just Prima Ballerina, Carefree Days, and the climbing Iceberg) which are mostly hidden from view behind the hanging basket, I think it's looking quite pretty out there. 












My garden in early morning light 8 July 2013





The lawn is vastly improved since I threw down plenty of lawn seed two or three weeks ago when it was warm and rainy although I'm not happy at the clover which is trying to take over.  Clover in lawns can be so difficult to eradicate. And then there is a problem of patches of tough grass but if I remember rightly, that can be dealt with raking the blades upright and cutting it low.  If you don't, it has a tendency to flatten out and spread.  I try to cut my lawn as often as I can as it makes grass thicker and finer, just so long as we are not in a drought or excessively dry period when it is wisest to let the grass grow just a little longer.



I think that you can see that the tomato plants have now reached the top of the Growhouse.  Although there are plenty of flowers, I still see no sign of any developing fruit and I remain hopeful of some kind of a crop.  So far they are disease and pest free.  Finger crossed.








My garden in early morning sunlight 8 July 2013

That's my wind-chime, hanging on the washing line (internal link, video clip), which I brought back with me from Barbados.   It has the sweetest sound when there's a gentle breeze.  It makes a racket in a gale but fortunately, if you understand what I mean by fortunately, both my neighbours are a bit deaf so don't have to listen to it.






Iceberg climbing rose