Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 July 2023

NIWAKI SECATEURS AND SNIPPERS

My old secateurs are about 10 years old now and despite my attempts at sharpening them they have a tendency to chew green wood rather than sever cleanly. I'll hang onto them but I decided to invest in some new ones. I discovered Niwaki, made in Japan. They have a shop in London and sell online from the UK. They are expensive but cut cleanly and are easy to use. I also ordered some snips; I've never actually used garden snippers for deadheading and extremely light cutting but have resorted to kitchen scissors, however these were quirky and highly visible which is a good thing. I misplace small gardening tools almost as much as I misplace my reading glasses. I have found both in pots and tubs at some point or other. 

Niwaki secateurs and snips

Information for secateurs from Niwaki website

Drop forged and hand finished in Yamagata (Standard and Small) and Sanjo (Large), Japan, our ‘double yellows’ are the perfect combination of refined craftsmanship and every day usability. Tough carbon steel holds a mean edge, the chunky catch at the bottom and the strong spring gives a reassuringly simple functional feel, and the yellow grips show up when you’ve left them somewhere in the garden (or you can remove them for a more traditional look.) ... Japanese steel is hard and sharp and can be more brittle than some people are used to - it will chip if abused. 

Apparently the Japanese like to use Camellia oil to clean their gardening and bonsai tools and I have read various good reviews about it, so I have some on the way. A little will go a long way. 

I found the snips a bit tricky to use at first. The way I was holding them, I kept nipping my finger but I've got the hang of it now and the way I hold them now is actually easier. 

Information for snips from Niwaki website

Brilliant floral scissors, combining the traditional ikebana style form with ergonomic resin moulded handles and fluorine coated blades. Perfect for cut flowers in the kitchen, greenhouse, conservatory and garden, and will handle a bit of woody pruning too if you end up off-piste. Index finger outside the handle, in the little indent.