Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 June 2023

MIGNON DAHLIAS ATTRACT POLLINATORS

This year, for the first time, I have grown Mignon dahlias in my garden, all in the pots and tubs which I chalk painted and transfer decorated this year. I tend to dedicate my garden borders to plants which are hardy and overwinter in the ground. Mignon dahlias flower prolifically and as fast I dead-head them, more keep on coming. I ordered a variety of colours but ended up with just white and yellow which actually work well in my garden design, if you can call it a design - I do tend to let the plants rule. 

Bumblebee (Common Carder Bee - Bombus pascuorum) on yellow Mignon dahlia
The open flowers of this type of dahlia are a great attraction to pollinating insects.

Bumblebee on white Mignon dahlia

Yellow Mignon dahlia
Note the gentle hoverfly has, unlike bees, short antennae and big eyes. They also only have one set of wings and do not sting. They are a gardener's friend. 
Hoverfly on yellow Mignon dahlia