Search This Blog

Thursday 22 June 2023

BEES LOVE PENSTEMON HEAVENLY BLUE

It has been such a long time, years, since I used my Canon EOS 6D camera that I have quite forgotten how to work it. My eyesight isn't the best for this job, with or without my glasses, and I have to rely heavily on the camera to do a good job. Further, I had great difficulty figuring out what settings to use, then it wouldn't take photos on auto. Even so, I think I managed to get a couple of decent shots of the delightfully humble bumblebees enjoying Penstemon 'Heavenly Blue', the only penstemon I have left which has survived our winters here on the Pennines of West Yorkshire.

White Tailed Bumblebee on Penstemon 'Heavenly Blue'
The bumblebees kept bombing me as I encroached upon their air space with my camera. It is a good thing that they are more nervous of me than I am of them. In 50 years of gardening, I have never once been stung by a bee even though I once had one in the palm of my hand when I was dead heading spent flowers. I had a beautiful shot of one in flight; well, it would have been a beautiful shot if it had been in focus!
White Tailed Bumblebee on Penstemon 'Heavenly Blue'

I used to have this particular penstemon in a border at the front of my home but it was becoming straggly and the border in much need of improving and changing, so I dug it up, pruned it, and transplanted it into a newly decorated large terracotta tub.