Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 April 2020

JAPANESE MAPLES (ACERS) IN LATE APRIL

Slowly but surely my small collection of Japanese maples are growing and they are putting on a lovely show right now.  Acer palmatum 'Katsura' is doing the best, even though it had serious signs of die-back last year and I had to cut off one branch. What with dieback and the dastardly vine weevil attacking the roots of various plants, particularly those left in containers, no one can tell me that gardening is easy. I lost a beautiful acer, Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream' to that insect. 




Acer palmatum 'Katsura'

Then there is the one called Jordan, which has potential for being quite spectacular when it gets bigger. I had to move it last year because it was getting wind-burn and I am hoping that it might fair better in its new spot which is only a little distance away from its original place but I suspect it will be less vulnerable. Time will tell.




Japanese acer shirasawanum 'Jordan'

Another one, Acer palmatum 'Phoenix', is showy but, like Jordan, keeps suffering a little from dieback. Right now its leaves are a fiery red but it's a very small shrub still and not much bigger than when I first planted it a couple of years ago. I have hopes. 




Acer palmatum 'Phoenix'

Much less showy at this time of year is Acer Palmatum dissectum Ornatum', but it comes into its own in autumn when its leaves turn red. 




Acer Palmatum dissectum Ornatum' late April 2020






Acer Palmatum dissectum Ornatum'  in autumn.