Search This Blog

Sunday 22 March 2020

SEED FOR HOME GROWN VEGETABLES

During this time of the coronavirus called Covid-19 and self-isolation, I thought it would be a good idea to try and grow my own vegetables. Not only that, but gardening is good for mental health. I never seem to have much luck growing vegetables in my garden apart from the ever-reliable runner beans. I have rocky ground, much of the spare space is taken by mixed borders and lawn (over rock!), and although slugs move slowly, they frequently get to the vegetables before I do! I usually try and grow vegetables in containers but over the years some plants grown that way have become the target of vine weevils! It's going to be a challenge.






Vegetable seeds from Fothergills

I couldn't get my favourite Wisley Magic runner-bean seeds online so I am going to try Red Rum (RHS external link) and hope for the best. Hopefully, after a long wet but relatively mild winter, we might have a decent summer. I think a hot summer would be lovely, not least because Covid-19 will not thrive so well in heat.




Wisley Magic runner beans 2018

I bought my seeds online from Fothergills and they delivered within a few days. They even sent me a couple of freebies, which was lovely of them. Every kind gesture, no matter how small, at a time like this when Covid-19 is causing such fear and panic worldwide, is very welcome don't you think?




Free seeds from Fothergills

Once upon a time, around 2012, I did used to grow my vegetables before I created the large mixed borders and had the garden room built. I still have some patio space at the top of the garden between the garden room and the shed, a sunny spot too.




Vegetables, fruit, & herbs in pots 2012

Aware of my idea to grow vegetables some time ago, I took pelargonium cuttings earlier than usual so that I can get that out of the way when I want to sow vegetable seeds. Later I will plant the young pelargoniums in the outside window trough under my living room window. I wouldn't usually take cuttings until April and, while I rarely lose one, it has been a disappointment despite my buying an electric propagator. Out of 16 cuttings only 9 have taken (probably my fault) but I do have a few thriving older plants in the garden room, so I can still take more cuttings if I want. Anyway, I can now use the propagator for vegetable seeds.



Young pelargoniums from cuttings, late March 2020




Pelargoniums in outside window trough 2012

There are also the Oranges & Lemons sunflower seeds to think about.




Sunflower seeds - Oranges & Lemons


A few years ago, a bird must have deposited a sunflower seed in my garden border for me and it was a lovely surprise.




Bird sown sunflower (helianthus anuus) in my garden


I, and the birds, butterflies, and pollinating insects, loved it.