Search This Blog

Saturday 28 March 2020

ORANGES & LEMONS SUNFLOWER FOR WILDLIFE

The coronavirus known as Covid-19 has taken hold of the UK as well as many other countries in the world. Right now, the UK is in lock-down and I am self-isolating. I am going to make the best of it and keep myself mentally and physically healthy by keeping occupied. A short while ago I received an online order of seeds and two or three days ago I sowed Oranges & Lemons sunflower seeds in small pots. I have the pots in a Stewart Premium 52cm Thermostatic Electric Propagator that I bought a couple of months ago and it seems to be doing the trick. Already they have germinated. I wanted to grow something that pollinating insects and subsequently birds would appreciate, as well as myself.




Unwins Oranges and Lemons Sunflower

The label says that these sunflowers attract birds, are great for cutting, and are strong growing plants. They achieve a height of 120cm (4ft) and should be grown 45cm (18in) apart. They can be sown indoors March to April and outdoors April to May. To grow indoors they should be sown in small pots of moist seed compost (I just used multipurpose compost) lightly covering the seeds, and placed in gentle warmth of 15-20C. The label also says that they should be accustomed to outdoors (hardened off) for 2-3 weeks before planting outside.



If sowing outdoors, the seeds should be planted 2cm (1in) deep in pre-watered soul about 45cm (18in) apart in a row or in groups. Keep the soil moist until seedlings are well established. Thin out if seedlings appear to be overcrowded.



Flowering time - July to October.



There were 20 seeds in the packet but I have only sown 10. It's enough for this year and I will keep the other seeds in the fridge for next year.






Unwins Oranges and Lemons Sunflower seedlings


I've put my sunflower seeds in small plastic cups, piercing a hole in the bottom for drainage. That way I could get them in my propagator with plenty of space left for a tray of antirrhinums and a pot of cherry tomato seedlings. When the seedlings have grown into young plants, I will remove them from the propagator and put other things in.