Search This Blog

Friday 25 October 2019

PROTECT TENDER LEMON VERBENA OVER WINTER

Although I neglected to protect a lemon verbena over winter one year and it survived, it's not something I would intentionally do. I thought I had killed it off and when I got the opportunity, bought two more as soon as they were available at the garden centre.  Then the old lemon verbena,  sprang to life!  That lemon verbena is quite beautiful now, like a little ball of topiary, providing plenty of leaves for herb tea. The lemon scent from the leaves is quite powerful when they are crushed.




Lemon verbena - a tender, shrubby, herb

I'm keeping an eye on the weather forecasts and as soon as frost is forecast, I will put them inside my unheated garden room until it is safe to pop them outside again. The problem with them is that they are not evergreen and so shed leaves all over my garden room carpet.



The combination of apple mint and lemon verbena make a lovely combination for herb tea




Apple mint