Search This Blog

Monday 17 June 2019

DRYOPTERIS FILIX-MAS EUXINENSIS - A STANDOUT FERN

To think that I used to grow Dryopteris filix-mas Euxinensis in a pot!  It's grown into quite a specimen now and a little incongruous as it is on the corner between small lawn and a small patio.  It must be 3ft (90cm) tall and almost as wide, but it's a fantastic specimen and, at a glance, you could be mistaken for thinking it's a conifer. I might consider moving it at some point, if I could think of a place where it could go and be equally as happy, and if I thought I could do it and not kill it in the process.




Dryopteris filix-mas Euxinensis








Dryopteris filix-mas Euxinensis

The Fascinating Sex Life of Ferns (internal link)




As it matured the  Dryopteris filix-mas Euxinensis fern began splitting at the end of the fronds.  I think now that it looks really good!







Dryopteris filix-mas Euxinensis, splitting at ends of fronds







Below, Dryopteris filix-mas Euxinensis formerly grown in a pot.