Search This Blog

Sunday 26 May 2019

LITHODORA DIFFUSA IS ATTRACTIVE TO BEES AND PEOPLE

It's a funny thing that I have lots of plants at the front of my home but the one that always gets commented on is Lithodora diffusa.  Actually, I have two and they are both extremely floriferous and, believe it or not here on the Pennines of West Yorkshire, I often see flowers on them, just a few, during winter.  They are, I suppose, after all, said to be alpines.  Recently, two friends of mine have bought Lithodora diffusa after seeing mine in full display.  Can you blame them?




Lithodora diffusa 'Heavenly Blue'

Lithodora is small, shrubby, and has a tendency to spread out without being invasive; it spreads out from a central stem. 




Lithodora diffusa 'Heavenly Blue'

The label says that Lithodora diffusa enjoys sun or partial shade.  It is good for ground cover and achieves a height of 10cm (4in).  It blooms June to July and is suitable for rockeries.