Search This Blog

Sunday 9 September 2018

JAMES GRIEVE APPLES ARE CRUNCHY AND FLAVOURSOME

Before I bought a miniature James Grieve apple tree for my garden, I had never even heard of that particular type of apple.  Why?  Well, it seems that James Grieve apples are easily bruised and that is probably the reason we, or I, never see them on supermarket shelves.  Now, I wouldn't know if they are easily bruised because I pick them one at a time off my little tree and eat each one straight away.  This year my young tree has provided me with over 20 apples and today I picked the last one.  Now I just have to wait patiently until next year for, hopefully, an even better crop. 







James Grieve apple


This year I had to use canes to support my miniature apple tree's branches as the weight of the fruit was in danger of snapping them.  The tree really is only small.  It is about 4ft high, that's all. 







James Grieve miniature apple tree








As you can see, the apple is perfect.  Not one has been unfit to eat, bruised, or with more than the tiniest of blemishes. James Grieve is perfect for eating straight off the tree, or for use as a cooking apple.