Search This Blog

Sunday 3 June 2018

CHIVES AND BUMBLE BEES




For a long time I grew chives in a pot. It started off with a smallish pot, then a bigger one, and a bigger one, then a container, and then they outgrew that.  So then I divided up the chives and planted them like a little hedge bordering the lawn but I didn't like the look of them so got rid of most and just left one small clump.  Anyone who cannot grow chives must have really bad luck because mine grow happily in my garden.  The little clump that I left growing last year has now grown into a substantial clump which is full of flowers right now.  Bumble Bees like chives and I like them too, but even if I didn't I would grow them for the insects and simply because they look pretty in flower.








It always makes me smile when I see Bumble Bees with big fat pollen sacs on their hind legs.  I think it's incredibly cute. 








Bumble Bee with full pollen sacs on chive flower





Bumble Bee with full pollen sacs on chive flower










Numerous clive flowers on one small clump of chives

Bumblebees love chives