Search This Blog

Sunday 20 May 2018

LOVELY LILACS (SYRINGAS) IN MAY

Two years ago I planted two lilacs: Syringa vulgaris 'Madame Lemoine' (a white one) and Syringa vulgaris 'Andenken an Ludwig Spath' (a deep wine red).  The latter has come on wonderfully and is full of flowers right now but poor Madame Lemoine has had a rough time of it.  She grows not far from my garden room and, at the side of my garden room, I have a water butt which was blown over several times during gale force winds and damaged that white lilac.  It took two small paving stones on top of the water butt to keep it in place.  Anyway, Madame Lemoine has kindly provided one beautiful white flower for me and hopefully, water butt allowing, she will give me more in the future.




Syringa vulgaris 'Madame Lemoine'










Syringa vulgaris 'Madame Lemoine'


Have to mention before I go and forget, we have had the most glorious weather since May started off rather badly.  It has been sunshine, sunshine, and more sunshine.  My garden room has come in very useful.  The glass is special, cutting out dangerous UV rays as well as stopping the things inside from fading.






Syringa vulgaris 'Madame Lemoine'




Syringa vulgaris 'Andenken an Ludwig Spath'




Syringa vulgaris 'Andenken an Ludwig Spath'