Search This Blog

Thursday 22 March 2018

SPRING HAS FINALLY ARRIVED IN WEST YORKSHIRE 2018

Officially spring began in the UK on Tuesday, 20th March 2018, two days ago, but I only really noticed it today.  We've had so much snow in the past few weeks, it has been bitterly cold with winds making it feel colder still, and I haven't experienced that wonderful feeling of euphoria that I get when spring has arrived.  I felt it today, that buzz.  It's still somewhat chilly but the sun keeps poking out from between the clouds and the primroses and crocuses look stunningly colourful. 







Crocuses and Tete-a-Tete daffodils - March 22, 2018

So, today was the day I began my gardening after a long hibernation.  I took secateurs to the buddleias, pruning them back quite hard to encourage new growth. Buddleias flower on new growth and I am hoping for a fabulous display.  I also attacked the climbing roses, Wild Eve and New Dawn.  I'm not sure if I will get flowers on them this year, or at least not many, but I had to try and get them into shape; a couple of strong shoots had gone through my new fencing to the sunny side of the fence, and others were stuck right out, heading northward and putting me in danger of getting scratched.  In fact, Wild Eve and New Dawn haven't been at their best for a couple of years and they have had disappointing displays.  They need to pull their socks up or out they go!







Crocuses and Tete-a-Tete daffodils - March 22, 2018

The next job could be removing the dead growth on the perennials, but not yet as I don't want to act too soon.  The weather nowadays is decidedly tricky.  I always leave foliage on my perennials during winter as I believe it helps protect them from frost and also gives wildlife a place to shelter.  Not that I get much wildlife apart from squirrels, birds, and bugs and grubs.  Sadly, I get no hedgehogs in my garden because they cannot get in.  I wish I could accommodate them but my new fencing (which I had put in to help resist the strong winds we get here) doesn't give me the opportunity to create a little access gap for them.  I did once see hedgehogs on the lawn at the front of the house though, two of them, right out in the open in the dark of night.  They look to be kissing.  How cute! 







Hedgehogs on the front lawn, 11 July 2010

I also want to move a couple of shrubs but I haven't yet made up my mind where.  So that must wait.  I want the small Philadelphus Snowbelle to be closer to the garden room so I can appreciate the fragrance from its lovely white flowers when I am in there reading (or snoozzzzzzzzing). 







Philadelphus Snowbelle







The clocks go forward on Sunday, March 25 2018, so that our nights will arrive later.  Good.