Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 February 2018

WIDESPREAD SNOW ACROSS UK - END FEBRUARY 2018

There is widespread snow across the UK today and the forecast is grim.  The media is calling it the Beast from the East.  How's that for dramatic.  Here, in West Yorkshire, we seem to have got off lighter than some with only a few inches of snow whereas in Scotland, in an area between Glasgow and Edinburgh and extending north to Perth, there's a red alert as the snow is so heavy up there it could endanger life.  Actually, a thin dusting of snow can endanger life if you go and slip on it and break your neck.  The advisory is to stay put and not go out, and not drive if you can avoid it.  No need to ask me twice.  I got in, before it arrived, enough food to feed an army.  I've fed the birds in the garden to keep their little bellies full to try and keep them warm.  Actually, it doesn't seem so cold out there to me but then two quick minutes clearing the three feet distance between the kitchen door and the dustbin is hardly time to give me hypothermia!








Snow in West Yorkshire, 28 February 2018





You may wonder why I keep wittering on about the weather, well it's because I like to keep a log so I can see how the weather might change over the years.  My deduction over the last decade is this: that it still rains most of summer in the UK, that the sun doesn't get through the clouds often enough, and it's even more miserable in winter.  Pretty though, the snow, when looking at it through a window.  I'm not complaining.  I don't have to go out to work as I am happily retired and I did get several hours in the garden room over the last few days.  If the sun shines for more than a couple of hours, the room soon warms up to a toastie 20+ degrees celsius.  Nice. 





The resident Ragdoll cat, Alfie, cares not about the weather and the snow and spent a cosy afternoon snoring his head off.  Do you think he might have sleep apnoea?  I mean, as cats sleep most of the day anyway, how can we tell?  Turn your speakers up, give it a few seconds, and listen to this...  At the end I am saying "I'm trying not to laugh".