Search This Blog

Friday 3 July 2015

HONEYSUCKLE, ROSES and FERNS

It's been another fabulously sunny day today on the Pennine Mountains of West Yorkshire.  Not too hot, not too cold, and not at all windy.  Just right.  I decided, sitting in my garden early this morning breathing in the scent of Mock Orange (Philadelphus 'Snow Belle'), honeysuckle and roses, that my garden is one of the few places where I feel totally content.  It had rained, last night, and the green dampness of the perennials and grass gave off a pungent fragrance that reminded me of a particular spot in a particular park when I was very young.






Honeysuckle (Lonicera periclymenum 'Scentsation') and Wild Eve climbing rose

There were ferns there, in that particular spot shaded by a canopy of trees at the entrance to the park, that saw only dappled sunlight, and there was an atmosphere of solitude, silence, and peace.  It made an everlasting impression on me, that place, that's difficult to describe but if you have been somewhere like that, you will know exactly what I mean.  It's almost as if the birds have gone quiet, as if everything has stopped.   In my present garden, I have the right plants but I haven't yet managed to replicate the atmosphere.  Perhaps my garden is not yet mature enough.  Perhaps I need more plants, taller, enclosing the space, holding in the atmosphere and the fragrances, dulling the external sounds of distant traffic and neighbours, and lawnmowers...!






A lush garden border

The great thing about growing things in containers is that you can move a plant around not only to make yourself, but also the plant, happy.  The acer below started its time in my garden at the top of the garden and didn't seem so happy but when I moved it to a difference aspect, facing the early morning sun and where it gets shade most of the day, it more than doubled in size in one growing season. 






Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum dissection 'Ornatum')  and hostas (Brim Cup and Patriot) emerging in spring

 

I have the Philadelphus 'Snow Belle' in a container and although it was growing at the top of the garden in a sunny place, while it is full of flower I have moved it closer to the kitchen door where the fragrance can enter my home and where I can appreciate it's fragrance every time I pass it.






A perfect spot at Temple Newsam, West Yorkshire

Perhaps what I need is a large pond, but that's out of the question.  Far too much work.  Now a small fountain could be just the thing...



The below fern is used to hide an ugly spot in front of a gate.  The pot is on wheels and can be moved when necessary.






Dryopteris filix-mas Euxinensis

The same applies to the smaller fern below.  It also is grown in a container and can be moved if necessary.  Right now it seems happy enough next to the Japanese maple. 






Athyrium niponicum 'Red Beauty'