Search This Blog

Sunday 5 July 2015

BEES ON THE GROUND & INSECT LAYING EGG

It has been a day of mixed weather with sunshine and storm today.  After a mild and sunny morning, thunder clapped and down rain poured.  I watched through my window hoping that the petals wouldn't be smashed off my Generous Gardener and Wild Eve roses that look so fabulous on my south and north facing (respectively) fences right now.  Then the sun came out again, everything sparkled, and I was glad that I had already mown the lawn.  The birds and busy are keeping busy and seem to be enjoying the mild weather. 






Bee clambering amid violas

 

I worried about a couple of bees the other day.  If they aren't buzzing around, but walking, I think bees are about to die and I don't worry.  There has been no insecticide spraying in my garden for over a year and I read there is such a thing as a ground bee.  They'll certainly be ground if they accidentally get under my feet!  The bee above was clambering over viola flowers and eventually hung onto a leaf, probably having a rest.






Bee 'foot' holding onto a leaf




Bee taking a walk across the lawn

 The above bee, on the grass, was exhausting me just watching it.  Eventually, I encouraged it onto a stick and popped it into the flower border away from the always watchful blue eyes of my Ragdoll cat, Alfie.






An insect laying a white egg

I inadvertently photographed the above insect while taking a photo of a flower the other day.  When I uploaded the image to my computer and saw it up close, I wondered what on earth it was doing.  It seems it is laying an egg.