Search This Blog

Friday 5 June 2015

POTENTILLA ATROSANGUINEA 'SCARLET STARLET'

I planted Potentilla atrosanguinea 'Scarlet Starlet' last year in my perennial/herbaceous border together with many other perennials and I cannot really recall it flowering.  I think that is because I planted it close to other potentillas and I think they intertwined with each other and I didn't know which flower belonged to what plant.  Scarlet Starlet has such beautiful leaves but I realised this spring that it was in danger of being smothered under neighbouring plants and so I dug it up and put it in another part of the garden with more sunshine and less competition.  The leaves can now be truly appreciated and it has begun to flower.  They were certainly worth waiting for.  






Potentilla atrosanguinea 'Scarlet Starlet'






Potentilla atrosanguinea 'Scarlet Starlet'






Potentilla atrosanguinea 'Scarlet Starlet'  leaves

The label says that Potentilla atrosanguinea 'Scarlet Starlet' has deep scarlet flowers and luxurious grey-green leaves.  It is an outstanding foliage plant, suitable for mixed containers, edging, the rock garden, or the front of a border.  It flowers in summer and achieves a height of 30cm (12"). 



Apparently, according to the Royal Horticultural Society, potentilla atrosanguineas like full sun and a poor to moderate soil.  That is exactly what it is getting since I moved it.