Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 June 2015

GROWING UP IN THE GARDEN

Gardening television programmes are always advising us about aspect, and soil types, and water and nutritional requirements for plants and, yes, of course, all that is important but when I choose plants, my decisions are made on more than that.  Naturally I want plants that are going to survive, but I also want plants that attract pollinators, plants that have fragrance, plants that have a long flowering season, plants that have attractive leaves and pretty flowers.  Some of my blog readers seem to think that my garden is a large one but it isn't.  It's less than 30 x 30 ft.  I make do with the space that I have and when space is limited it's a good idea to grow vertically as well as horizontally by using climbers!  Not just any old climbers.  I want those with with long flowering periods and ones that, if possible, are fragrant.  I want white flowers that shine out at dusk, and coloured ones that brighten up the fences, and (last but not least) upright plants that give me not only pollinator-attracting flowers but also a crop of fruit - I'm talking about my loganberries and Polka raspberry canes now.


























Jasminum Officinale - fragrant perennial climber with pretty buds, flowers, and leaves

Don't forget that hanging baskets are another way of gardening vertically.  You can grow ornamental flowers in them, or fruit producing plants like strawberries, or fragrant herbs.  I'm growing trailing fuchsias - Southgate and Swingtime - for the second year in a row.  They are comparatively trouble free and attract bees and hoverflies (hoverflies are a good thing in the garden!).










Sweet Peas ( Lathyrus Odoratus) - annual climber

Flowers and fragrance during the summer months

Great for cut flowers

Don't forget the wonderful clematis climbers.   I have Arctic Queen growing in a tub on my front porch, facing south with stones at the base of the climber to keep her roots cool.  I have two Dr Ruppels (bought two accidentally, at separate times) which are grown about 15 feet apart and look wonderful this, their second, year.   I also have the magnificent Elsa Spath - Wow!  What colour!  Last but not least, the white and delicate petals of Gillian Blades are shining out from among the jasmine as the clematis uses the jasmine for support, and the jasmine is attached to the fence.  I planted it last year and it is doing very well indeed.  Note: All my clematis have their heads in the sun and their 'feet' in the shade, which is what they like.  The shade on the clematis in the back garden, against the sunny fence, is provided by plants growing in the border. 






David Austin 'Wild Eve' climbing rose with honeysuckle (Lonicera periclymenum 'Scentsation')

 




New Dawn climbing rose








David Austin 'Generous Gardener' climbing rose