Search This Blog

Sunday 31 May 2015

AUBRIETA 'RED SWAN'

I've never been a fan of variegated leaves on flowering plants but I have to admit that when I saw Aubrieta 'Red Swan' at the garden centre last year, I had to have it.  Although it's called 'Red' Swan, it's actually more of a vibrant cerise pink.  I have a dwarf cherry tree planted in a large, plastic terracotta-coloured tub sunk into the centre of my sunny border and I wanted plants to grow around it and up against the brightness of the pot to hide it somewhat.  I planted Aubrieta 'Red Swan' about this time last year and it has more than tripled its size.  It's partly masked the pot and it's beautiful, healthy, and extremely pretty. 






Aubrieta 'Red Swan'





The label says that Aubrieta 'Red Swan' is a mat forming evergreen perennial with small, yellow margined leaves and purple-red flowers.  It is suitable for rockeries, borderes, walls, banks, paving, gravel gardens, containers, and pots.  It flowers from spring to early summer.  It achieves a height of 2" (5cm) and a spread of 24" (60cm).  It enjoys full sun or partial shade in free draining soil.



It's a little beauty.