Search This Blog

Saturday 16 May 2015

ACER PALMATUM DISSECTUM 'ORNATUM'

In April 2014 I invested in an Acer palmatum dissectum 'Ornatum' which I planted in a terracotta pot.  Although these shrubs are often considered slow growers, this one has doubled its size.  That's good.  It is looking glorious right now and will look even more so when its colours redden in autumn.  It's a fabulous shrub to have if you can give it some shelter from the wind.  I moved mine after I first bought it and it is now against the house wall, in an east facing position, and only gets early morning sun.  It seems to like it there.  I'm not sure why mine is doing so well as the Acer Palmatum 'Orange Dream' which I bought in May 2014, planted the same way, and in the same place in my garden, has given up the ghost! 










Acer palmatum dissectum 'Ornatum' May 2015

amid hostas, ferns, and ivy






Acer palmatum dissectum 'Ornatum' April 2014

If I had the space, and thought they would survive, I would have a garden filled with these spectacular maples.  What a show they would put on in autumn!