Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 April 2015

THYMUS CITRIODORUS PROSTATE - Creeping Lemon Thyme

Although I already grow a kind of lemon thyme in a pot, over the years it has become more and more woody.  While mooching around the herb section of a garden centre yesterday, I found this little Creeping Lemon Thyme (Thymus citriodorus 'Prostate').  When I crushed a leaf, the scent of lemon was powerful, I just had to have the plant. 











The label says it is good in hanging baskets and has small pink flowers.  It prefers a well-drained soil in a sunny or partially shaded position; ideal for tubs and pots.  It achieves a height of 5cm (2in) but does not say how far it spreads.  Mine will be grown in a pot, so its spread will be restricted.  Another webpage said it spreads to about 60cm (24in). 



I assume it is hardy but mine will be overwintered, like my other pots of herbs, in my mini-greenhouse. 



The label also says that it is can be used with meat and poultry, and also added to pastry.  I intend to try a little in the lemon verbena and lemon balm herb tea that I make every summer.  The lemon balm, by the way, is massive now and grows in a large tub.  Good.  The more of those fragrant, lemony leaves, the better.  The lemon verbena is the stronger flavoured of the two though but that's struggling a bit and at the moment I am not sure if it is going to produce much this year.  Even so, some green shoots are appearing following a dormant winter. 








Lemon verbena




Lemon balm