Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 April 2015

ATHYRIUM OTOPHORUM OKANUM - AURICULATE LADY FERN

This pretty fern, Athyrium otophorum Okanum (Auriculate Lady Fern) is another addition to my very small collection of ferns.  Like the Japanese Painted Fern which I mentioned in an earlier post, I am going to grow it in a tub so that I can move it if it is not happy in its present place.  It will receive sun very early in the morning and then light shade thereafter.  Although it isn't quite as eye-catching as the unusual Painted Fern, it's still very pretty with its bright green leaves and dark red ribs.






Athyrium otophorum Okanum (Auriculate Lady Fern)

The label says:

Athyrium otophorum Okanum (Auriculate Lady Fern) is a delightful fern with grey/green leaves and wine red midribs.  It is perfect for brightening up moist, shady corners, or well-watered patio tubs in shade.  It prefers dappled shade with shelter from strong winds and likes moist, fertile, preferably acid soil.  It is deciduous but the fronds last well into autumn.  It is hardy and perennial, achieving a height of 45cm (18in) and a spread of 50cm (20in).  Water regularly in dry spells and cut dead fronds down to ground level in late winter.

As I mentioned in my earlier post on Painted Fern, I don't cut down the dead fronds on my other ferns (also grown in pots) but leave them as a layer of protection from seriously harsh winters. I cut them off in spring when the new fronds begin to appear.  Your choice.