Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 December 2014

CHAFFINCHES, GOLDFINCHES, AND SPARROWS IN MY GARDEN

Nothing much of interest is happening in my garden now that winter is here.  There is the occasional shabby rose opening from a ragged rosebud, and a few penstemon flowers are still looking nice, but the cold and wet weather has given everything a miserable cast and I have to admit that I am not a winter gardener.  What interests me now is the birds and I get so much pleasure watching them arriving in my garden despite costing me a small fortune in bird seed.  Unfortunately, I cannot get great photos of them because I have to take them through the kitchen window, or they fly away the minute I open the door.  And, invariably, I have the wrong lens on my camera.  If I go and change it, by the time I get back the birds have flown.  I really ought to get out of the habit of leaving my macro lens on, at least for now. 






Goldfinches having a feast






Goldfinch checking me out




A Chaffinch waits in the wings while the greedy sparrows fill their bellies.