Search This Blog

Sunday 2 November 2014

MECONOPSIS CAMBRICA 'WELSH POPPY'

I see the Welsh Poppy (Meconopsis cambrica) growing quite often in local gardens, in positions where I can tell that the plant has sown itself.  There's one growing alongside a house drain, where the bathroom water flows.  Some Welsh Poppies found their way into the narrow strip of soil under my living room window and I thought, aaaah, sweet, let them grow.  Well, they are, but you try and pull one up.  I swear the root of one large plant headed for Australia and tied a knot in itself when it emerged from the other side.  That's an exaggeration, a homonym, but they are real toughies and not as easy as you might think to pull up.  Of course, it's not surprising that they are toughies, delicate looking survivors.  Although I have pulled up most of the ones growing at the front of my home while they were still small, I caught this little yellow flower on camera today.  Sneaky plant had grown without my noticing.  I shall leave it there, for now. 






Meconopsis cambrica 'Welsh Poppy'

flowering in November





As you can see by the above photograph, already their are dry seed heads which will have spilled seed onto the ground already.  A new flower bud is forming too.  I cannot deny though the beauty of this yellow poppy.  If I were not a keen gardener, I might consider having a whole border with nothing else but these growing.  They seem to get along quite well without the help of a gardener.