Search This Blog

Thursday 16 October 2014

HARVESTING WISLEY MAGIC RUNNER BEAN

In an earlier post I mentioned how impressed I am with the runner bean 'Wisley Magic'.  Some of you will know that Wisley is a place where the Royal Horticultural Society have one of their gardens.  Anyway, today I have run out of fresh green vegetables for dinner so the runner beans are going to be very useful.  It is surprising how fast they have grown, even in all the rain that we have had lately.  The beans are not the least bit woody and most are straight and some about 14 inches in length.  I've picked plenty off this solitary plant and there are lots more still growing.  Imagine, if I had planted the whole packet in a long row I would have been able to feed my neighbourhood with them.






Wisley Magic runner beans




Wisley Magic runner bean in flower

 The flowers are very beautiful and make a nice climber for the fence.






Wisley Magic runner bean

growing amid the Dr Ruppel clematis, Jasmine, and Generous Gardener rose



They attract bees too.






Bees love runner bean flowers