Search This Blog

Friday 5 September 2014

BUSY BUZZING BEE IN PENSTEMON

I took this photograph the other day while in my garden merrily snapping away with my camera at everything that took my fancy.  By the time I got this image (and the 200 thousand others, more or less, that I took at the same time in the hope of getting at least one decent picture), I'd forgotten what it was I had been photographing.  What is that thing that looks like an egg-beater hanging from below the penstemon flower?  I knew I'd taken a photograph of a bee and there's a black leg or antennae sticking out to prove it, and a bee's furry back and bum, but I can only guess that the 'egg-beater' is a wing that is in rapid motion.  Odd, because usually the bees wings are folded down when they enter a flower.  This one is clearly in danger of falling out!






Bumblebee inside a penstemon flower - macro photo



This last couple of days there have been a lot of bees in my garden and some of the bumblebees have been quite tiny.  I can only think that they are baby bumblebees.  Awwwwwww.



Please, save our humble bumblebees