Search This Blog

Sunday 28 September 2014

BUMBLEBEE RESCUE

I was mooching around my small garden today with no intentions other than to enjoy my cup of coffee and do a bit of dead-heading while the sun was shining.  Then, on checking that the birds had plenty of seed etc., I noticed something wriggling about in their water.  It was a little bumblebee, drowning.  Unlike a real nature photographer, my first instinct was to rescue the bee, then take photographs.  I tipped the water plus bee onto a clump of Mrs Sinkins dianthus and while I fetched my camera, the bee managed to struggle to the top of a leaf.  The poor thing was weighed down with water but soon began to dry out.  When it got to the top of the leaf, it had nowhere else to go so after watching it dangling and dithering about for a while, I broke off the leaf and put bee and leaf in a better place.  The things you have to do for the birds and the bees!






Bumblebee rescued after nearly drowning