Search This Blog

Saturday 16 August 2014

WATER-WADING FERAL PIGEON AND THE WOODPIGEON

Several days ago I moved the water dish on the bird-feeding station to above the level of the bottom of the seed feeders.  The idea behind this was to stop the birds dropping seeds (and poop) into the water and contaminating it.  It's important to keep feeders and supplies clean in order to try and prevent the spread of disease.  Since I did it, the water has remained cleaner for longer.  Of course, there is always something, isn't there?  Today that something was a dumbass feral pigeon that decided to wade around in the water while sussing out the situation with regard to a Woodpigeon that was enjoying the seed that the feral pigeon wanted.  The water doesn't look all that clean now, does it?






Woodpigeon (left) and feral pigeon checking each other out



For once I managed to get my camera before the performance ended.  While the two different types of pigeon were competing for seed, the little birds that live in the vicinity of my garden just came and went regardless, taking seed from the other big feeder.  As you can see, it's blowing a gale.  We are mid August and the forecast for the next few days is rain and strong winds. 



I'm afraid the video isn't as good as I had hoped, or as close up as I would like.  I had to take it from inside my home, through the window, and my lens is only 24-105mm, but you can still see the foolish pigeon wading around in their drinking water.  Such bad manners.






 




 



Believe it or not, I filled these feeders not two days ago.  The birds are getting to be more expensive to care for than my Ragdoll cat, Alfie.