Search This Blog

Thursday 28 August 2014

NEPETA FAASSENII ALBA - CATMINT

Nepeta faassenii alba, like all nepetas, is commonly known as catmint which is said to send cats into a state of euphoria.  I know some catmints do that but I have a cat, a Ragdoll called Alfie, and he never pays this plant any attention at all.  Alfie always was a contrary cat but it might have something to do with me telling him to keep off the plants.  Alfie's quite well behaved, for a cat.  I can tell you, though, that bees are attracted to it.  The flowers are tiny individually, on spikes about 2in (5cm) in length at the end of trailing stems.  The flowers, while not insignificant, attract bees, and are dominated by scented leaves which smell lovely if crushed. 




Nepeta faassenii alba and the bumblebee - 'Coming in to land!'












Nepeta faassenii alba - Macro photograph

Nepeta faassenii alba is great for ground coverage.  I planted my small new plant a few months ago and it has spread to about 16" already.  I don't consider it invasive though and it won't be a problem to just cut it back when and where necessary.  It has nicely woven its way through other plants nearby, covering the soil, and it looks quite pretty. 






Leaves of Nepeta faassenii alba. 



The label says this: Nepeta faassenii alba has a long succession of white flowers all summer 'smothering' strongly scented mounds of small greyish leaves.  It is suitable for borders and rose gardens as ground cover and for containers, in sun on well-drained soil.  It flowers late spring to late summer and achieves a height of 30-45cm x 45 cm (12-18" x 18").  Trim after flowering to encourage growth and repeat flowering.







Alfie, my resident Ragdoll Cat












Personally, with the display I have, I wouldn't say the flowers are smothering the leaves. The leaves are the dominant feature but they are a lovely grey green, as shown in the above photograph. 



My catmint is grown in a tiny south-facing border on good, well-drained soil.