Search This Blog

Thursday 28 August 2014

MORE MACRO IN THE GARDEN

I managed to take two or three macro photos which I particularly liked this morning while the sun still shone.  It's been raining on and off all day but the rain just adds to the interest sometimes.  I noticed that the jasmine officinale has just about finished flowering now although there are a few buds still waiting to burst.  The strong winds lately knocked a lot of the flowers off and left the climbing shrub with lots of empty calyxes.  A cluster of flowers of the Sempervivum pumilum drew my attention, I don't know why.  It looked half dead and I considered dead heading it then scrutinised it down the camera macro lens, and this is what I saw...






Sempervivum pumilum - Macro photograph






Jasmine calyxes after the flowers have gone



I also took what I think is a nice photo of a tiny flower on the Heuchera 'Marmalade'.  You'd think these flowers, which are only about 3mm across, would be insignificant but they make quite a statement clustered on a tall stem above a cushion of brightly coloured leaves. 






Flowers of the Heuchera 'Marmalade'



Going back in time a bit, to 21 July 2014, I took a photo of a sempervivum (cannot remember which one) but looking down the camera lens, I noticed how bright the reproductive organs were in contrast to the pink flowers.  A fly got in on the action and came out quite well, in focus.






Sempervivum flower and the fly



Time travelling forward to yesterday, while sitting on the swing thinking about my next genius photography move, I spotted a red strawberry hiding among a lot of foliage.  They have to hide better than that to avoid me spotting them.  It's not really a macro photo but let me sneak it in here anyway. 






Again in the present, I've been trying to take a decent photo of the Armeria maritima 'pink' (thrift) that I grow.  It's a tough little plant and has been flowering since I bought it a few months ago.  Today I took a close up, a macro, and although I am not particularly thrilled with the shot, I think you can see how beautiful the flowers are when magnified.  It's really worth growing, and pollinating insects love it.  There are two flower heads here, side by side.






Pink Armeria maritima 'Purple Rose' (thrift).










White Armeria maritima 'Ballerina White' (thrift)