Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 August 2014

CAMPANULA 'CLIPS BLUE'

Campanula 'Clips Blue' is growing at the front of my home, planted in the border that holds the row of golden-yellow Arthur Bell roses.  I'd grown the row of Arthur Bell roses a year or two before it occurred to me that I really should grow something else along with them.  I decided on white and blue, low-growing plants that would not be too demanding of the soil and compete with the roses.  I planted those plants, mostly alpines, a short while ago and they have taken quite readily to their west-facing positions. 






Hoverfly on a Campanula 'Clips Blue' flower



The border in which this plant is growing is narrow and sloping.  The soil was initially quite impoverished but every year I add to it compost that has been used in pots and is no longer required, and I feed the soil with Top Rose.  Already the plants, which I hope will spread and cover the soil, have more than doubled their size.



The labels says about Campanula 'Clips Blue'  that it is a compact clump-forming perennial producing branching stems of lavender-blue bell-shaped flowers in abundance.  It is suitable for rockeries, borders, walls, banks, paving, gravel gardens, containers and pots.  It flowers mid to late summer and achieves a high of 20cm (8in) and spread of 30cm (12in).  It enjoys full sun or partial shade in moist but well-drained soil. 






Campanula 'Clips Blue'

I admit that I sometimes forget to dead-head plants that produce flowers so prolifically; especially when they are not in my back garden where I see them more regularly.  I've just done that job, nipping off the developing seed heads with my fingers, and with luck I will continue to get dozens and dozens of these vibrant coloured flowers for some time to come.