Search This Blog

Monday 21 July 2014

FRAGRANT SWEET PEAS (LATHYRUS ODORATUS) AND JASMINE (JASMINUM OFFICINALE)

The honeysuckle Lonicera periclymenum 'Scentsation' has been growing on my north-facing fence for years and it flowers prolifically, yet I have never noticed its fragrance.  Never.  Perhaps my neighbour benefits from it.  On the other hand, I planted some sweet peas (Lathyrus odoratus) many weeks ago against my south-facing fence and today picked about 7 or 8 flowers and brought them into the kitchen.  The scent from that small bunch of flowers is knockout.  The same goes for the scent of the Jasmine growing on both my north and south fences.  To me, fragrance is an essential part of a garden. 






Sweet Peas

The wonderful thing about Sweet Peas is the more you pick the flowers, the more flowers they produced.  I see by the picture, though, that there is an aphid problem.  Hopefully the hoverflies, of which there are plenty in my garden right now, will see to them.  Apparently some types of hoverfly have larvae which eat aphids. 






Solitary sweet pea in the sunshine




Sweet peas cut for the home

I don't know whether my kind of jasmine would work well as a cut flower and, to be honest, it has taken so long for it to give such a fantastic display that I'm reluctant to cut off any of the flowers, so I'll leave it right where it is. 






Jasmine officinale




Jasmine Officinale - image edited in Photoshop  - Macro