Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 June 2014

POLKA RASPBERRY, STRAWBERRIES, LOGANBERRIES, AND SWEET CHERRIES

In spring I made the decision to grow raspberries cordon-style.  That's because the canes have a habit of growing higher than my 6ft fence and when the wind blows it knocks the stuffing out of anything above fence level.  Not only that, but by laying the canes more horizontally, I am able easily to put net over my raspberries and protect them from the beds.  I promise, no birds get tangled in my net.  In fact, they don't seem to pay my fruit much attention.  I think I feed them too well on the complete bird-feeding station.  Also, I do share my harvest with the birds but they don't get to just peck away at all the fruit, ruining the crop and leaving me scraps!






Polka raspberries




The decision now is, do I make a freshly made kind of jam with them to eat on my home-made seed bread, or do I use them in my bircher muesli, or perhaps I'll just watch a movie and eat them like sweets. 



I'm pleased to say that I am getting a crop of strawberries, albeit small.  After having unsuccessful years of trying to get a decent crop and getting nothing much but botrytis and distorted fruit, I decided this year to neglect the strawberries (which are the perpetual fruiting type) and they can either provide fruit, or not.   Seems they prefer rough treatment as they are providing beautifully healthy berries! 



The loganberries, which I moved from a large tub and transplanted into the 90 degree angle between two fences (where it used to grow originally), is coming along.  It's a dry corner of the garden and I have to pay great attention to not letting the plant get dry at the roots.  There is a lot of embryo fruit on the stems which I have tied to the fence and I am hoping that the fruit will swell and ripen and provide a nice glut of berries. 



The Prunus Avium 'Stella' Gisela 5 cherry tree has been disappointing.  After a fabulous display of white cherry blossom this spring, the weather became cruel.  Winds lashed the cherry tree and long periods of heavy rain didn't do the cherry, which is growing in a pot which is sunk into the garden border, any good.  The result of this was that although lots of cherries began to follow the flowers, they started to drop off.  This, apparently, can be a result of severe weather.  However, there are a few cherries still left and they seem to be swelling.  If they form ripe fruit, I might just let the birds have them.  Why not?