Search This Blog

Friday 6 June 2014

GERANIUM SANGUINEUM 'ALBUM' - CRANESBILL

I went over to the Royal Horticultural Society shop and garden centre at Harlow Carr today.  The idea was that I would buy some plants to put in the trough under my lounge window so that I could appreciate them throughout summer.  I came back with hardy perennials for my back garden border and two clematis for the fence.  This sort of thing happens all the time.  One of the perennials is Geranium Sanguineum 'Album' (Cranesbill).  It has a lovely white flower to jolly up the border at dusk when other coloured flowers fade to grey. 






Geranium sanguineum 'Album'






Leaves of Geranium sanguineum 'Album'

The label describes Geranium sanguineum Album as a clump forming, full hardy, plant with masses of cup-shaped pure white flowers from June to September.  It dies back in winter and re-grows from ground level every year.  It achieves a heigh of 25cm (10in) and a spread of 40cm (16in).  It likes any fertile soil in sun or shade.  To extend the flowering season, remove flowers as they fade.  The plant can be trimmed lightly in summer to freshen the plant.