Search This Blog

Saturday 31 May 2014

LAWN IMPROVEMENT

A little while ago, May 1, 2014, I posted about the lazy way to rejuvenate a lawn, telling whoever read the post what I do to improve my lawn.  I'm not saying it's the best way to go about it, but when your energy is limited, when you have nothing much to work with but a thin layer of soil over rock underneath the lawn, it might be the only way apart from digging out all the rock (go for it if you have the resources or energy) and starting afresh.  I am relatively pleased with the result considering the shabby way I go about it.  The moss is now dead and I have raked it out.  The weeds are gone, at least I cannot see any.  The seed which I scattered over the grass and watered in has now germinated and thickened the lawn to a great extent.  While this is a good result, I am not happy with the way that the thicker bladed grass is trying to get a hold on the lawn.  I know that one way to combat this is to rake it upright (it is inclined to lie flat) and then mow it.  I understand that this stronger type of grass doesn't tolerate being cut short and tends to become finer.  I don't know but it's worth trying and this is what I'm doing.  We shall see.  At the moment, my grass looks like this.  I have, today, watered in more grass seed.  I was simply using up the remains of the box of grass seed and have sprinkled it where the grass was thinner.







The lawn isn't bad when you consider that just weeks ago there were big patches of moss, weeds, and bald patches.



My garden's borders are rather lacking in colour.  I am hoping that when the recently planted hardy perennials spread there will be a lot less soil and a lot more plant and thus, hopefully, more flowers.  Fingers crossed.