Search This Blog

Wednesday 23 April 2014

PRIMULA 'WHARFEDALE VILLAGE'

Wharfedale is an area in the Yorkshire Dales and I found this lovely Primula 'Wharfedale Village' in the Alpine House of the Royal Horticultural Society in Harlow Carr, North Yorkshire.  Although there are so many gloriously colourful primulas out there, I tend to favour those that are a little less loud and more like the original primula vulgaris, primrose.  Wharfedale Village with its off-white petals and pale yellow eye is just wonderful and one that I would happily add to my garden. 







Primulas grow happily in sun or shade in moist but well-draining soil.  Mine grow in a relatively shady north-facing border that gets mid to late afternoon sunshine.  I assume that 'Wharfedale Village' is as hardy as other primulas.