Search This Blog

Tuesday 22 April 2014

HARDY PERENNIALS, LAWN, FRUIT, AND SPRING BULBS

What a miserable day.  Although we have had nothing by way of snow this year here on the Pennines in West Yorkshire, and I realise that we have been rather spoiled considering the terrible flooding they have had to endure in the south of England, I don't want to look out of my window and see this all day long without a break, without a glimmer of sunshine or blue sky.  However, the hardy perennial border that I have planted very recently seems very happy about it.  Everything is looking so healthy and promising and I've just had the most awful thought.  Slugs! 






Alfie, the resident Ragdoll cat, heading out for border patrol



The lawn is doing well after I put down some weeder/feeder/moss killer (Evergreen Complete 4 in 1) a couple of weeks ago.  Yesterday I raked out as much of the dead moss that I could and I am thinking that in a couple of weeks or so I might try putting down some fresh lawn seed in the hope that the chemical weeder/feeder will have exhausted itself and not start killing off any grass seedlings.  That's the resident Ragdoll cat, Alfie, heading out for border patrol.



Note that the Prunus Avium Stella Gisela 5 in the large terracotta-coloured pot bedded into the border has lots of white flowers ready to give me cherries.  I expect it will need some sunshine for that.  Note that the Polka raspberries, cordon style, are looking healthy.  They are full of flower buds right now.  I planted two other types of raspberry canes (Glen Ample and Glen Doll) a couple of weeks ago and so far only two out of twelve are showing real signs of actually do anything, i.e. leaves.  I will be most unimpressed if they don't get a move on. 



In the mini-greenhouse I have put my potted 'Fascination' dahlias, to try and bring them along earlier. They are kept company by the chives, lemon balmrosemary, and other herbs which have overwintered in the little greenhouse.  It might be a small greenhouse with just four shelves, but it's an award-winner and things survive in it.  Of course, I hedge my bets by having a clear cover, followed by a fleece, and finally a strong top cover.






Tip of a healthy rosemary plant grown in a pot - Macro photography

The hyacinths and tulips (Yokohama, Apricot Beauty, and Orange Emperor) have done very well this year.  Out of all the bulbs I have, it is the narcissus 'Obdam' which I love the most.