Search This Blog

Monday 7 April 2014

OLSYNIUM DOUGLASII

Last month, when I was visiting the Alpine House at the Royal Horticultural Society gardens in Harlow Carr, there were many beautiful flowering plants which caught my attention, not least of all Olsynium douglasii.  With its bright green grass-like leaves and mauve flowers, I thought it would be something I would like to grow, if I could.  I don't know if my humble mobile-phone camera has managed to capture the silkiness of the flowers or how bright the flowers' saffron-coloured reproductive organs are in contrast. 












Apparently Olsynium douglasii, which belongs to the Iridaceae family (Iris) is sometimes identified as Sisyrinchium douglassii, and commonly as grasswidows.  It grows to about 30cm (12") tall.







Although this spring flowering plant looks quite delicate apparently it can grow wildly and in great profusion in the right place.  It can grow in many places in north America and likes: coastal bluffs, prairies, open rocky areas, oak and ponderosa pine woodlands, sagebrush and juniper desert, where moist in early spring (Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture, website).



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olsynium_douglasii



Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture, website - Olsynium douglasii.