Search This Blog

Saturday 26 April 2014

HOSTA 'GOLD EDGER'

When I had my much bigger garden many years ago, back in the mid 80s to mid 90s, I used to grow various types of hosta at the bottom of my garden.  The garden was on a long slope and at the bottom it was north-facing, shady, and moist.  Hostas loved it, but so did the slugs.  Now I have a smaller garden, I still want to grow hostas but have to be more selective about the size to which they will grow, and I'm not giving slugs a chance.   Last year I planted the small hosta, 'Brim cup', in a terracotta pot and now I have bought 'Gold Edger'.  Like 'Brim Cup' it is to be grown as a specimen, in a terracotta pot, surrounded by gravel that the slugs just hate sliding across. 




 






As the label says, and as you can see above, hosta 'Gold Edger' forms a dense mound of layered light green leaves that turn gold with age with many stems holding an abundance of lavender flowers from July to August.  It grows to a height of 50cm (20in).  Sounds perfect.