Search This Blog

Saturday 26 April 2014

CHERRY BLOSSOMS ON PRUNUS AVIUM STELLA

As I've mentioned already in other posts, I grow the sweet cherry Prunus avium Stella Gisela 5 which I bought last year just as the flowering period was ending.  I've recently transplanted it into a large plastic pot which I have partially sunk into my garden border.  The reason for my doing this is because I understand that this tree does not like competition with other shrubs and the pot keeps away invading roots from other plants, because the soil in my garden isn't very deep before there is rock and heavy clay, and also by sinking the pot into the soil, it steadies the pot and the tree from falling over when the wind blows.



How to prune Prunus avium 'Stella' cherry trees






Prunus avium Stella, Gisela 5 - 26 April 2014



If you have a small garden and want a pretty, flowering tree, why not grow a fruit tree and get the pleasure of both flowers and fruit?  Because my cherry tree is a dwarf tree, I don't need to worry about the size it will grow to although, having said that, it does look much bigger than it did last year.  Clearly, it is very happy and it's truly beautiful to behold.  Whether or not the weather conditions, and wildlife, will allow the development of a good crop of cherries remains to be seen.  Watch this space.






Prunus avium Stella, Gisela 5 - 26 April 2014