Search This Blog

Sunday 6 April 2014

AZALEA 'TIT WILLOW'


I've mentioned in previous posts that I am changing my garden border.  While I have many roses left (the row of Arthur Bell at the front of my home and some climbers against the fence at the back), some were just too troublesome and now I want a bigger variety of plants.  Hardy herbaceous perennials are perfect in wet West Yorkshire.   Most, if not all, can withstand sub-zero temperatures.  However, I don't want everything to be hardy perennials, I want variety.  I have bought Azalea 'Tit Willow'.  Some nurseries label it as a rhododendron.  At the moment it is in bud and I've taken a photo of label and plant so you can see for yourself what it looks like now and how it will look in time.





Azalea 'Tit Willow'







The instructions on the label reads as follows:



Evergreen Azalea 'Tit Willow': A compact, mound forming evergreen shrub covered with masses of flowers in spring year after year.  Hardy, easy to grow and ideal for containers.



Position: Choose a sheltered position in light shade with lime-free or acid soil (pH 5-5.5).  Alternatively, plant in a tub or raised bed using ericaceous compost.



Planting:  Soak thoroughly before planting.  Fork plenty of moist ericaceous compost into chosen site.  Dig a hole large enough to avoid disturbing the root ball.  Carefully remove the pot and place the plant in the hole.  Backfill with soil previously mixed with a suitable fertilizer then firm.  Water thoroughly after planting.



Aftercare:  Keep well watered until established.  Each spring apply a balanced fertilizer and mulch the root area to retain moisture.  Remove dead flower heads after flowering.  Application of a liquid fertilizer during the summer will keep plants healthy.



In my last, large garden which I created back in the 80s, I had a small Japanese Azalea which never grew very big but was covered in colourful blossoms every spring.  The rest of the year it displayed nothing more than its lovely shiny leaves but these were enough as it was surrounded by other interesting, and larger, shrubs. 






Small red azalea in my 1980s garden,

sheltered behind by taller shrubs







Deciduous 'Japanese' Azalea


I grew the above Japanese azalea in my previous garden too.  It was very elegant with its large head of salmon coloured flowers and many leaves appeared after it had flowered.  Apparently this type of azalea is popular with bonsai growers.  It was grown in the damper, north facing area of the garden at the bottom of a gentle slope.