Search This Blog

Friday 25 October 2013

BLECHNUM GIBBUM SILVER LADY - A DWARF TREE FERN

I was mooching around Gordon Rigg's garden centre in Rochdale the other day, looking for something that will tolerate a particular place in my living room - warm and a little shady - when I spotted a delightful little fern.  So healthy and green it is.  I'm afraid my brain turned off a bit as I read 'warm' and 'light shade' on the sign above the plants and thought of how plants are supposed to be good for us, breathing out oxygen, giving an element of humidity in a centrally-heated room.  I didn't even remember to make a note of the fern's name at the sight of such a reasonable price on the pot (£3.99) of a good-sized fern.  I didn't even care about the strong little white roots poking out of the base of the pot.  I can repot it, I thought.  Then, when I got home, my brain turned back on again.  Hmmm.  Looks like something that would grow in a pre-historic rain forest, something that would grow big, like a tree fern, with a trunk even. 






Bechnum gibbum 'Silver Lady'


 


Of course, Blechnum gibbum 'Silver Lady' is bound to outgrow my living room.  My cat has outgrown my living room and so have I for that matter with all the books and movies I have.  I only know Silver Lady's name because today I was mooching around the Royal Horticultural Society shop at Harlow Carr and spotted one just like it.  Yep, it's a tree fern alright.  Thank goodness for the 'dwarf' bit on the description.  Anyway, it's going to look lovely and if it gets too big, someone, somewhere will be happy to give it a home.  The only other problem is that it is, apparently, a fast grower.  Oh dear.  I will do these things.  Still, mustn't worry.  I might kill it off.


 




 




 





The condition it likes apparently, is light shade, acid soil (no lime!), warmth (it isn't frost hardy), and a damp potting mix although it must never be water-logged.  It also doesn't like its leaves to be wet for an extended period although a light misting is acceptable as it likes some humidity so in a dry room it could be grown on a dish of water with the pot standing on pebbles (but not in the water!).  Sound easy enough.  I think.



I repotted the fern and although the pot might seem a little large right now, the plant itself was terribly root-bound in the pot it came in from the nursery.  I want the fern to grow.  I want it to develop into a small tree with its sturdy stem as I think it will look wonderful, unless it takes over the house!






Blechnum gibbum 'Silver Lady' repotted.



If you'd like to see a more mature Blechnum gibbum 'Silver Lady' visit this website: Forest Ferns.co.uk