Search This Blog

Sunday 11 August 2013

VEGETABLE PLOTS AT RHS GARDENS, HARLOW CARR

I cannot help but be a little jealous of the way the vegetables grow so healthily at the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) Gardens, Harlow Carr.  Of course, they are tended by experts or trainees overseen by experienced horticulturalists but all the same...  I never quite seem to have the same success in my relatively exposed garden no matter how hard I try.  Either the weather ruins them, or the insects get them, or the seeds just don't germinate at all.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I do think that the gardens at Harlow Carr are in a hollow, more sheltered, and definitely at a lower altitude than my own.  Of course, I am just making excuses now!  If you look at the image below, it's quite exciting the way everything is grown in such a small space with various types of vegetable grown so closely together.  It has a marvellous effect, I think.  I do wish I had the luxury of that greenhouse. 










Raised vegetable beds at RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr

 




Artichokes growing at RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr






Black beans growing at RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr


There are, as far as I know, just two areas at the RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr, where vegetables are grown.  In the below area, there are various vegetables and fruit being grown.  One RHS student has a patch of vegetables growing in a small allotment and another patch is a trial area for various types of squash.


 





A variety of vegetables and edible plants growing together at RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr






Squash trials at RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr