Search This Blog

Saturday 10 August 2013

FRUIT GROWN AT RHS GARDENS, HARLOW CARR

When I visited the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) gardens at Harlow Carr the other day, I noticed how successfully they grow fruit and vegetables, and they make it all seem so easy.  Of course, they are the experts but I wondered about the climate there. The RHS garden seems to be quite sheltered, in a hollow, and so much seems to grow so well with no additional protection.  Harlow Carr is about 540 feet above sea level, whereas my home is about 875 feet above and gets blasted from winds coming across the moors despite my 5ft+ fencing.  At least, that's my excuse for my inadequate attempts at growing fruit and veg.  I know, my Prunus Avium cherry tree provided some lovely fruit, and also the three tomatoes (Gardener's Delight, Italian Plum, and Alicante) are doing ok but will they ripen?  That's the question.  The RHS also has the envious luxury of having greenhouses.  All the same, I was still surprised to see not only figs but Kiwi fruit growing in one greenhouse close to the little building near the outdoor cafĂ©.  There were also passion flower vines which I assume are the kind which provide the edible Passion Fruit or Granadilla, (Passiflora edulis), although they were only just in flower when I saw them.






Kiwi Fruit at RHS Garden, Harlow Carr








Kiwi Fruit at RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr


 




Figs at RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr




Passiflora - Passion Flower, at RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr


The parts of the passion flower are related to Christ's Crucifixion: the ten sepals (not including Judas and Peter) are the Apostles; the corolla is the crown of thorns; the five anthers are the five wounds; and the three stigmas are the nails.   


 

Outdoors, in the vegetable plot, I noticed a beautiful strawberry flower; the brightest pink.  How lovely.  I wonder what the fruit tastes like. 






Strawberry with bright pink flower, at RHS Harlow Carr



There were lots of different fruit trees and plants in the gardens and I couldn't help but notice how we can grow apple trees in such a limited space.  I am almost tempted to get one next year, if I can just find the space.  That is always the problem for me.






Apple trees (Discovery, I think) in a row at RHS Gardens, Harlow Carr



RHS link: Growing apple trees as espaliers

RHS link: Growing apple trees as cordons